Roadmap 2050: a practical guide to a prosperous, low-carbon Europe outlining various scenarios for renewable energy in Europe, has been published by the European Climate Foundation (ECF).
The project finds that in a decarbonised power system, the future cost of electricity is comparable to the future cost of electricity in the current carbon-intensive infrastructure.
Roadmap 2050 also shows that with the necessary investments in energy efficiency and Europes power network infrastructure, a decarbonised power sector using available technologies, including renewable energy, can provide the same high level of reliability that consumers enjoy today, in all low/zero carbon pathways.
Roadmap 2050 looks at the economic, service reliability, infrastructure, energy security and policy implications of the European power system in 2050 in four decarbonised scenarios.
The pathways do not rely on imported electricity and are based on existing or late stage development technologies including renewable energy such as solar, wind, biomass, geothermal and also non-renewable low-carbon resources such as carbon capture and storage (CCS) and nuclear:
· 40% renewable energy, with the remaining 60% supplied evenly between non-renewable low-carbon technologies: CCS and nuclear;
· 60% renewable energy, with the remaining 40% supplied evenly between non-renewable low-carbon technologies: CCS and nuclear;
· 80% renewable energy, with the remaining 20% supplied evenly between non-renewable low-carbon technologies: CCS and nuclear.
· The study has also assessed the technical and economic feasibility of a scenario with 100% renewable electricity, requiring no nuclear power and limiting CCS application to heavy industry, including solar power from North Africa and breakthroughs on enhanced geothermal power generation.
A big challenge
With the exception of existing hydroelectric facilities, almost all of the power generation capacity required to supply Europe in 2050 will need to be built in the next 40 years. This is a major undertaking regardless of the energy mix, and would pose a massive challenge even in a high-carbon scenario, the ECF says.
The key finding of the Roadmap 2050 project is that the challenge is basically the same in either a high-carbon, low-carbon or zero-carbon energy scenario, in terms of overall cost and scale.
What does change significantly is the required level of investment early in the cycle.
Capital expenditure on energy infrastructure will need to double in the next 15 years to deliver a zero-carbon power sector by 2050. But in that scenario, the overall energy bill for the economy will be heading downward by 2020, and the day-to-day running costs fall fast throughout the period.
As well as studying the technical requirements of the grid and power infrastructure and the economics of the various scenarios, the Roadmap 2050 project has also delivered an analysis of the policy requirements for decarbonisation of the power sector and inclusion of renewable energy by 2050.
Action before 2015 is a prerequisite for decarbonisation by 2050.
Immediate policy development and implementation should focus on:
· Energy Efficiency measures, creating cost savings and reducing demand;
· Investments in regional networks and local smart grids and coordination of power market operations among member states, maximising the value of low-carbon investments and minimising back-up supply and load-balancing requirements; and
· Market reform to ensure an effective investment scenario.
Still worth it
The Roadmap 2050 project shows that the benefits of the low-carbon transition by far outweigh the challenges and that a commitment now to a systemic low-carbon transformation of the energy sector is ultimately the winning economic strategy for competitiveness, jobs and low-carbon prosperity in Europe.
Important message from the Financial Conduct Authority:
Posting inside information that is not public knowledge, or information that is false or misleading, may constitute market abuse.
This could lead to an unlimited fine and up to seven years in prison.
If you have any information, concerns or queries about market abuse, click here.
The content of the messages posted represents the opinions of the author, and does not represent the opinions of Interactive Investor Trading Limited or its affiliates and has not been approved or issued by Interactive Investor Trading Limited.
You should be aware that the other participants of the above discussion group are strangers to you and may make statements which may be misleading, deceptive or wrong.
Please remember that the value of investments or income from them may go down as well as up and that the past performance of an investment is not a guide to its performance in the future.
The discussion boards on this site are intended to be an information sharing forum and is not intended to address your particular requirements.
Whilst information provided on them can help with your investment research you need to consider carefully whether you should make (or refraining from making) investment or other decisions based on what you see without doing further research on investments you are interested in.
Participating in this forum cannot be a substitute for obtaining advice from an appropriate expert independent adviser who takes into account your circumstances and specific investment needs in selected investments that are appropriate for you.