SMT /MNKS and what about Edinburgh w/w all from the BG stable all well managed .as regards the possible stock market crash....I've seen ab 3 of the last 10 that were forecast ! buy the best you can and hope for some good luck along the way
Charityman - The last 4 weeks has seen a revival in USA tech shares hence SMT up. I am currently seeing that Tesla shares have dropped 5% in after hours trading on Wall Street due to a Musk interview unsettling investors.
The idea behind holding both MNKS and SMT is that SMT will do well when tech stocks soar, but MNKS will be better for the coming crash. If you don't think that a crash is likely then just hold SMT.
SMT has a much greater exposure to tech stocks like Tesla and Alphabet. This January I sold half of my SMT holding and invested that in Monks. Both are great Trusts, but when the crash comes SMT will dive furthest.
"It's the first day of May and seasoned investors might recall the old adage "Sell in May and go away, don't come back till St Leger Day". It advocates selling out of theÂ stockmarketÂ for the summer months and returning to the market in the ..."
Brave to invest now after such a good run and when now trading at a premium.
I sold some (too early!) at around £7 when the discount was heading towards zero. Be aware that if/when the correction comes the things that went up the most are likely to go down the most. I'm probably too cautious in my old age but I will be avoiding ITs until the discounts improve a bit. You could always buy a BG OEIC (cf Monks/SMT portfolios) so that you don't have to worry about the discount widening.
I have held SMT for some years, but last week split that holding into two and put one half into Monks. This was based on the MoneyWeek view that SMT is exposed to any pull back in US major tech stocks.
I see no evidence (I am a chartist) that either SMT or MNKS have peaked, but the long expected major market crash cannot be far away - perhaps 9-15 months hence IMO.
Both Monks and SMT have been going up like a rocket for the last few months.
I have added to SMT but wonder if I've missed the boat to add to Monks?
Only a weak buy recommendation by me due to worries that it may peak soon (or has peaked) as it is down 1p today at 811/813 when the FTSE has topped a new high.
Without that thought it would be a strong buy.
"Launched in 1929, LSE:MNKS:Monks Investment Trust has been managed by Baillie Gifford for around 80 years, and previous manager Gerald Smith ran the portfolio for a decade.Since March 2015, however, the trust has been managed by the ..."
thanks for all your replies to this. My conclusion is to buy Monks with a bit of SMT on the side. But like others here, I don't feel comfortable buying anything at this moment in time (shares or bonds) , so for me it's going to be a long-term drip-feed.
SMT is more volatile; top holdings Amazon & Tesla. Both ITs currently trading on a premium, SMT higher. I continue to hold ATST & Monks due partly to cap gains liability. Re. other global ITs I would be looking at Caledonia which is at a standout discount in the current environment.
I hold both and am pleased by the good rum. SMT undoubtedly helped by the elevation to the FTSE and Monks by the change of manager. Like valeite, I am now slightly concerned as both are trading at a slight premium to NAV and do not intend to increase holdings except perhaps by dividend reinvestment. I always bear in mind what James Goldsmith said about bandwagons when considering completely new investments..........
as a long term holder of both monks and scottish mortgage i start to worry when shares trade at a premium ,as they do now,because you leave yourself open to a double whammy when markets are weak .as well as falling share prices they could revert to trading at a discount .have lightened my holdings recently in favour of uk smaller co's funds ,such hendersons uk sm co's .still ,what a year monks have had (helped by brexit and the change of us president )
since the portfolio was changed we have moved to 4/24 in our sector up nearly 30% since brexit and 47% over 12 months .alas ,brexit has messed up other parts of my portfolio ,mainly uk midcaps i should add .shows the value of spreading risk i suppose
Important message from the Financial Conduct Authority:
Posting inside information that is not public knowledge, or information that is false or misleading, may constitute market abuse.
This could lead to an unlimited fine and up to seven years in prison.
If you have any information, concerns or queries about market abuse, click here.
The content of the messages posted represents the opinions of the author, and does not represent the opinions of Interactive Investor Trading Limited or its affiliates and has not been approved or issued by Interactive Investor Trading Limited.
You should be aware that the other participants of the above discussion group are strangers to you and may make statements which may be misleading, deceptive or wrong.
Please remember that the value of investments or income from them may go down as well as up and that the past performance of an investment is not a guide to its performance in the future.
The discussion boards on this site are intended to be an information sharing forum and is not intended to address your particular requirements.
Whilst information provided on them can help with your investment research you need to consider carefully whether you should make (or refraining from making) investment or other decisions based on what you see without doing further research on investments you are interested in.
Participating in this forum cannot be a substitute for obtaining advice from an appropriate expert independent adviser who takes into account your circumstances and specific investment needs in selected investments that are appropriate for you.