Introduction to Covered Warrants
Covered warrants give the investor the right, but not the obligation to buy (calls) or sell (puts) in the underlying asset. Their aim is to replicate the same financial exposure as buying (call) or selling (put) an asset such as a share, index, commodity or exchange rate at a predetermined price (strike price) on a predetermined date (expiry).
The lifespan to expiry is usually between 3 months and 3 years from issue. If held until expiry, the cash value of the warrant (if positive) will be credited to the investor.
Find out more about Covered Warrants
SG CIB, the investment banking division of Societe Generale, is the world's largest listed products issuer, with a 20 year track record of providing an outstanding trading service. Each year, more than €10 billion is traded in SG listed products across 10 global stock exchanges (Paris, Brussels, Madrid, Milan, London, Frankfurt, Helsinki, Hong Kong, Tokyo and Singapore).
With the largest number of listed products in the world, SG enables investors to leverage all their investment objectives, using either of the three sub-families: Replication, Investment Strategies and Leverage.
In the UK, Societe Generale has been present in the Listed Products business since the opening of the Covered Warrants market by the London Stock Exchange in 2002. Today, Societe Generale is a major player in the Exchange Traded Products market.
Find out more about Societe Generale
Investing in Covered Warrants
- Login to your investment account
- Under 'account admin' complete the appropriateness test by selecting 'Add the ability to trade complex products' link
- Then use the ‘Buy’ button above relating to the product you wish to invest in
- You’ll first need to open an investment account with us
- Then follow the actions relating to existing customers above
If you have any queries please call our team on 0845 200 3637
Why use Covered Warrants:
- By trading both long (call) and short (put) positions you have the potential to profit from both price rising and falling markets
- Access a huge range of markets including UK and International Equities, commodities and currencies
- Covered Warrants trade just like ordinary shares but as they geared investments, investors gain the same level of exposure at a fraction of the cost
- As you don't own the underlying asset Covered Warrants do not attract Stamp Duty (tax laws may change)
- Your maximum loss is always limited to the initial amount invested, however, covered warrants are considered as high risk as the capital is fully at risk
- You can buy and sell covered warrants on the London Stock Exchange (LSE)
- As they trade just like ordinary shares our standard commission rates apply. See our full rates and charges
|SC43||FTSE 100 Index||Call||7000||19-Dec-14||1,000|
|SO85 ||Goldman Sachs ||Call||250 ||18-Dec-15 ||100 |
|GEF3 ||Nikkei 225 (Quanto) ||Call||20,000 ||11-Dec-15 ||1,000 |
See the full list of covered warrants available from Societe Generale here.
Before trading you should fully understand the nature of covered warrants and your exposure to the risk involved. The geared nature of covered warrants means that a relatively small movement in the share price of the underlying asset will result in larger movements in the value of the warrant. Therefore, covered warrants provide the opportunity for greater returns than ordinary share dealing but also greater risks and potential losses. If you are in any doubt you should consult an Independent Financial Advisor.
Open a share and fund account
- £10 rate for UK and international trades
- £5 frequent trader rate
- 100% rebate on all income and commission we receive on your funds
- Switch to us now (find out why)
Open a Spread Betting/CFD/FX Account
- Competitive pricing and tight spreads
- Available on web, desktop and mobile
- Advanced tools and one-to-one support
- Switch to us now (find out why)
Open a free research account
- Create a portfolio watch-list
- Subscribe to news and price alerts
- Participate in our active discussion boards
Latest insight from Societe Generale
- 1 of 24