For more information on how we protect your money, see our financial security of your account pages
1. This Security Policy sets out the principles governing the way we secure our website (the "Site"). There are two forms of registration on the Site depending on whether you are accessing and using the Information Services or the Trading Services parts of the Site. Each Trading Service has its’ own set of Terms and Conditions which you must agree to before using that Service and which govern Access and Security to that particular Trading Service. By registering for either type of service, you confirm you have read and understood the principles set out below.
Defined terms in this Security Policy have the same meanings as in the General Site Conditions. References to 'Interactive Investor, our, us or we' in this Security Policy means Interactive Investor Trading Ltd an independent intermediary authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, previously known as the Financial Services Authority.
Accessing the site and registration
Registering for Information Services
2. Before you can use any of our Information Services (including any of the Subscription Services) you will need to complete our online registration process. As part of this process you will be asked to provide a user name and password ("User Name" and "Password"). The criteria for the User Name and Password are set out during the registration process as well as in this document.
3. Whenever you visit the Site and wish to access and use the Information Services you will be asked to enter your User Name and Password. Failure to do so will mean that you will be denied access to the Information Services.
Your user name and password
Choosing a User Name
10. When choosing your User Name you must:
- not use your choice of Password ;
- have at least six and no more than 16 characters; and
- not include words or numbers from your Personal Information.
Once you have entered your suggested User Name, our systems will check that no other Interactive Investor customer has the same User Name. If another Interactive Investor customer has the same User Name you will be asked to choose an alternative User Name.
Choosing a Password
11. The following are some guidelines on how to choose your Password:
- your Password must be between 6 and 8 characters;
- your Password must not include words or numbers from your Personal Information;
- your Password should not include easily guessed words;
14. Your User Name and Password are case sensitive, so take care when typing them in. If your User Name or Password is rejected when you try to login, make sure the caps lock key is not on and that you use the correct case for each letter.
16. If you contact us by phone, we may ask for your User Name but we will NEVER ask for your Password.
17. You should NEVER send us your Password via email as this could be intercepted and read by unauthorised people.
If you forget your Password
18. Go to the 'Forgotten Password?' page in the Customer Services section on the Site. There you will be able to enter your User Name and an email address to verify your account. An email will be sent to you which will contain a unique URL enabling you to change your Password.
19. Once you receive the email and click on the URL, you will be prompted to change your password.
Keeping information secure
23. We use the latest encryption technology on all the Trading Services parts of the Site to prevent anyone else from seeing your details, payment card details or transaction information. We support 128-bit SSL encryption, which is the current industry standard for financial transactions. Your browser must support SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) and it will tell you when you login if your browser does not support such security features. Our systems also support 64-bit (or lesser) SSL encryption however encryption levels below 128-bit should not be considered secure.
24. Your browser tells you when you're connected to a website using encryption in slightly different ways. Your browser may also warn you if you are connecting to a secure website. This is an option that you can set in your browser. Websites that use encryption have a web address that begins https://. When you use our Site, this will appear in the web address field of your browser when you connect to any part of the Site that is secure.
Leaving your computer unattended
28. Take care not to leave your browser unattended after you login. In case you forget to close it when you leave, you will be automatically logged out of your Interactive Investor Trading Account about 20 minutes after your last action on the Site. You will need to login again when you return.
Ending your session/ Logging off
29. When you have finished using the Site, you should click on the Log out button in the top righthand corner of each page screen or simply close your browser to remove your personal details from the computer's memory. This also stops someone else from looking back through the pages you have visited to see your personal information. If you login on a different computer or in a new browser session your original logged in session will be terminated.
Don't email us your Personal Information or security details
30. You can email us if your enquiry is simple. Internet email is not a secure method of transmitting personal data, therefore when you email us with an enquiry you must NEVER include security information such as your Password. Similarly we will not disclose Personal Information via email.
31. If you have any enquiries about your Interactive Investor Account, please contact the Interactive Investor Contact Centre on 0845 88 00 267 or write to:Interactive Investor,
2 West Regent Street,
Office or third party internet policy
32. If, to access the Site, you use a computer at work or college or the computer is owned and operated by someone else (e.g. at an internet café), information sent between you and Interactive Investor either through the Site or an email, may be intercepted, recorded and/or monitored by the network administrator or owner of the computer. Before accessing the Site, sending emails or providing us with an email address for such a computer, you should refer to the internal policies relating to use of the internet and such computers. There may be conditions and restrictions that apply to you when you use such computers.
Storing your details securely
33. We store personal data securely on internal networks and the networks of our agents. These are not directly accessible from the internet.
Constant monitoring of the system
34. To maintain a secure service, we constantly monitor our systems for unauthorised attacks. These attacks include attempts to gain access to customer details and deny access to authorised users. Our systems use sophisticated technology to ensure these attacks do not compromise the security of the Trading Services. We reserve the right to lock your Interactive Investor Account while we investigate possible security problems. In some cases we may need to take the Site out of service in order to investigate and rectify security issues.
- Session cookies
- - which store information such as where you are on the Site. Session cookies must be used in order for you to be able to navigate the Site and to provide certain security functions. A session cookie will be deleted on closing your browser.
- File cookies
- - which store information about your usage of the Site. We will use the information contained in this type of cookie to allow us to improve the Site and the services provided therein and for marketing purposes. The marketing information will be anonymous.
- Third party advertising cookies
- - some of the advertisements you see on this site are generated by third parties. Some of these third parties generate their own "anonymous cookies", for the same reasons we do: to track how many unique users have seen a particular ad, and how many times they have seen it. These third party cookies cannot be used to identify an individual user, but only for statistical purposes, for example, in providing you with advertisements that are more relevant to your interests. Additionally, the companies that generate these cookies have their own, very strict, privacy policies but we don't have access to these cookies; other than allowing them to be served, we have no role to play in these cookies at all (although we may use statistical information arising from these third party cookies and provided to us by third parties, to improve the targeting of advertisements to users).
36. You may set your browser to warn you if a cookie is about to be sent by a website to your computer. This function may also allow you to reject cookies. If you reject session cookies this may adversely affect your ability to access and use the Site and the services provided on the Site.
37. We will only read cookies from your cookie file placed there through your browser's interaction with the Site. By accessing the Site and not rejecting the cookies you agree to the use of such cookies.
Data protection act