Retail Bond Issues
What are Retail Bond Issues?
Retail Bonds are another form of ‘new issue’ where companies look to raise extra capital by borrowing from the investor at a fixed rate for a set period. Like equity IPOs these new issues are typically introduced by companies looking to raise capital to expand their business, pay down debt, or finance other corporate activities.
Many new issues attract sizeable interest from private investors who may be looking to take advantage of demand on the primary market, before the security is bought on the secondary market, with the hope that the value of the investment will rise. However, investors must be aware that investing in new issues is not without risk and the value of your investment may fall significantly after the security is quoted on the open market.
Acces our educational videos for further information:
Before investing in new issues this please read our allocation policy
Why would you invest in Retail Bond Issues?
In the current climate of low interest rates investors are looking for income yield from many sources. With retail bonds typically offering between 4% and 6% there are generally much more attractive than the high street bank.
But remember a higher yield typically comes with higher risk and remember to do your own research on the companies issuing bonds or seek independent advice. When buying bonds, you should consider the issuer’s credit rating and their ability to repay their debt. This will have a direct bearing on the value of the investment. Should the issuer default, they may not make interest payments or be able to repay your money and your initial investment is at risk.
The market value of the bonds is subject to normal investment and market risks. If you choose to sell your Bonds in the open market at any time prior to the Maturity Date, you may receive a lower price than what you paid for your initial investment. If you have any concerns about the suitability of this investment then you should contact a financial adviser.
Please note that corporate bonds are not covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme on default of the issuer
Why invest in Retail Bond Issues with Interactive Investor?
Simple. We will not charge a commission for you to invest in any new issue retail bond as we receive a fee by being a distributor for the issue. Furthermore, at Interactive Investor we have a constant ear to the ground for any new issues that are coming to the market so if you have an account with us we will keep you posted on any announcements of any companies going public.
Process for investing in Retail Bond Issues
When retail bond issues launch, they will follow the process set out below:
- Roadshow – As a first step, the company involved will present to a range of investors around the country, from retail brokers such as Interactive Investor, to IFAs and fund managers, to get a feel for the demand a new bond issue will create.
- Bond announced and Prospectus released – Usually within a few days of the roadshow, if the company decides to go ahead, it will release a Prospectus detailing the final terms of the bond offer in detail. Once the Prospectus and any supplementary information are released, they will be displayed on our site. Potential investors should read and digest the information fully before making any decision to invest.
- Offer Period – Once the offer period begins, our dealers will start taking orders from clients. Usually there is a minimum investment requirement of £1000-£2000. The offer will usually be open for a set period of around two weeks but quite often, if demand is high, the offer will close early.
- Offer Period closes – Once the offer closes our dealers will close the book for new orders. Clients will be informed about their allocations. Please be aware that you may not receive your full allocation as quite often new issues are oversubscribed and the offer scaled back. For further information please read our allocation policy.
- Bonds are admitted to the stock market, most often the LSE ORB (Order Book for Retail Bonds), at a par value of 100p. Commonly known as the secondary market, the bonds can now be freely traded during market opening hours and, as market forces dictate, the price may rise as well as fall.
Risk warning - investors must be aware that investing in new issues is not without risk and the value of your investment may fall significantly after the security is quoted on the open market.
Call us on 0845 200 36370845 200 3637 to participate in new issue retail bond offers. There is currently no electronic facility online to invest in these new issues.
There are currently no new issues available.
|Offer Type||Name of issue||Closing date||Price|
|Fixed Income||CAF Retail Charity Bond||Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 9am||
|Fixed Income||Alpha Plus 5% Secured 2024 Retail Bond||Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 11am||
|Fixed Income||Paragon Group 6% 2024 Retail Bond||Friday, August 21, 2015 - 11am||
|Fixed Income||Wasps Finance 6.5% Retail Bond due 2022||Wednesday, May 6, 2015 - 12pm||
|Fixed Income||Hightown 4.4% 2025 Retail Charity Bond||Friday, April 17, 2015 - 12pm||
|Fixed Income||Intermediate Capital Group 5% 2023 Retail Bond||Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 12pm||
|Fixed Income||Eros International Plc 6.5% Retail Bond due 2021||Wednesday, October 8, 2014 - 4pm||
|Fixed Income||A2D Funding II Plc (A2 Dominion) 4.5% Sterling Retail Bond due 2026||Wednesday, September 10, 2014 - 8am||
|Fixed Income||Burford Capital 6.5% 2022 Retail Bond||Tuesday, July 29, 2014 - 10am||
|Fixed Income||Golden Lane Housing 4.375% 2021 Retail Bond||Wednesday, July 9, 2014 - 10am||
|Fixed Income||Paragon Group 6.125% 2022 Retail Bond Offer||Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 10am||
|Fixed Income||Premier Oil 5% 2020 Retail Bond||Thursday, December 5, 2013 - 12pm||
|Fixed Income||EnQuest 5.5% 2022 Retail Bond Tap Issue||Monday, November 25, 2013 - 3pm||
|Fixed Income||International Personal Finance 6.125% 2020 Retail Bond||Friday, November 15, 2013 - 12pm||
|Fixed Income||A2D Funding Plc 4.75% 2022 Retail Bond||Thursday, October 3, 2013 - 12pm||
|Fixed Income||Bruntwood 6% 2020 Secured Retail Bond||Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 11am||
|Fixed Income||Helical Bar 6% 2020 Retail Bond||Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 11am||
|Fixed Income||International Personal Finance 6.125% 2020 Fixed Rate Retail Bond||Monday, April 22, 2013 - 10am||
|Fixed Income||Provident Financial 6% Retail Bond||Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 4pm||
|Fixed Income||Paragon Group 6.00% Bond Offer||Friday, February 22, 2013 - 4pm||
|Fixed Income||EnQuest Plc 2022 5.5% Retail Bond||Friday, February 8, 2013 - 12pm||
|Fixed Income||Alpha Plus Group Secured 5.75% 2019 Retail Bond||Tuesday, December 11, 2012 - 12pm||
|Fixed Income||Tullett Prebon 5.25% Sterling Retail Bond||Wednesday, December 5, 2012 - 12pm||
|Fixed Income||UNITE Group 6.125% Sterling Retail Bond||Monday, December 3, 2012 - 10am||
|Fixed Income||St Modwen Properties Plc 6.25% Sterling Retail Bond||Wednesday, October 31, 2012 - 12pm||
|Fixed Income||London Stock Exchange Group 4.75% Bond Offer||Wednesday, October 24, 2012 - 10am||
|Fixed Income||Workspace Group Plc 6% Sterling Retail Bond||Tuesday, October 2, 2012 - 12pm||
|Fixed Income||Beazley 5.375% Sterling Retail Bond||Tuesday, September 18, 2012 - 10am||
|Fixed Income||Intermediate Capital Group||Monday, September 10, 2012 - 4pm||
|Fixed Income||CLS Holdings Plc 5.5% Sterling Retail Bond||Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 10am||
Open an account
Please be aware of the risks involved. The value of investments, and any income from them, can fall as well as rise so you could get back less than you invest. Past performance is no guarantee of future performance. Tax treatment depends on your individual circumstances and may be subject to change. If in any doubt, please seek advice.
Need help? Call
0845 200 3637 calls cost 2p per minute plus your phone company's access charge, or email us your query
Awards and Recognition
- Best Consumer Platform – Aberdeen UK Platform Awards
- Awarded Best Market Newsletter – City of London Wealth Management Awards
- Rated first for the cost of our service and the quality of our content – The Platforum Guide 2013
- Our new pricing was featured as Deal of the Week in June 2012 - Financial Times
- Ranked first out of 23 fund supermarkets in May 2012 - Which? Magazine
- Voted Winner – Value for money - Investment Trends – July 2011
Find out more on our About Us page
£5 Frequent Trader Rate
Introducing our £5 frequent trader rate. Make 10 UK equity trades within a month, and any further UK equity trades in that month will be charged at £5.
Find out more.
Respond to breaking news, wherever you are, with our new web app. Review your holdings, search for shares and trade on the move.
Find out more
Open a Self-Select ISA
Open a self-select ISA and invest in funds, shares, ETFs and investment trusts - tax efficiently and with low cost trading and no ISA administration fee.
Open a self-select ISA