What is it?
Investing that has the power to deliver competitive returns and bring about positive change.
Values Based Investing (VBI) is an investment philosophy that considers criteria based on Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) values, alongside financial returns, when selecting an investment opportunity.
This is one of the newest and fastest growing sectors within the investment universe. There are now over 1,254 managers representing over $34 trillion committed to VBI worldwide . According to the United States Sustainable Investment Forum (US SIF), VBI accounts for around one in every nine dollars under professional management in the US.
VBI covers a range of strategies and asset classes, from listed equity funds through to private equity investments. Increasingly new investment models are being developed that employ values-based investing to enhance returns as well as drive positive change.
Source: UNPRI- April 2013
Find out more about the selection process for qualifying Impact investments via the Social Stock Exchange (SSX) and their range of quoted member shares and bonds.
Funds investing in Listed Financial Instruments:
- Ethical: Negative screening: remove all “sin” sectors companies from portfolio (includes pornography, armaments, gambling, natural resources and alcohol). Positive screening: as above but also only select companies with “best in class” CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) credentials from remaining universe.
- ESG (Environmental, Social & Governance) -based investment: Integrating long-term ESG criteria into investment decision making in order to produce superior financial returns. This differentiates it from ethical investments, which set financial returns as a secondary consideration, subordinate to ethical or sustainability goals
Private Equity based funds:
- Impact Investments: investments in businesses or projects with the primary aim of delivering positive change (e.g. microfinance. Community investing)
- Green Tech: investing in new technologies that reduce or eliminate harmful impact to the environment (includes renewable fuels, waste treatment, water recycling etc.)
Before you subscribe to any New Issues you should read our Allocation Policy.
Register your interest in Values Based Investing to be kept informed of all our offers:
OEICs and Unit Trusts
OEICs and Unit Trusts
|Name||1 Year (%)||3 Years (%)||5 Years (%)||Discount||NAV|
|Impax Environmental Markets Ord 10P||48.12||50.12||140.71||-11.26||252.43||Buy|
|Jupiter Green Investment||28.08||19.95||108.49||-6.22||180.21||Buy|
|Menhaden Capital Plc ORD 1P||-3.80||-||-||-24.12||87.47||Buy|
|NextEnergy Solar Fund Limited Red Ord Npv||15.59||-||-||6.37||102.00||Buy|
|Syncona Limited Ord NPV||4.52||16.47||-||0.49||127.87||Buy|
|Trading Emissions PLC||28.11||-11.30||35.45||-||-||Buy|
|Name||6 Months (%)||1 Year (%)||3 Years (%)||5 Years (%)||Currency||Sector|
|Lyxor UCITS ETF WORLD WATER D GBP||2.99||34.42||57.63||-||GBX||Commodity & Energy||Buy|
|UBS ETF - MSCI EMU Socially Responsible UCITS ETF (EUR) A Dis GBP||14.78||37.86||34.47||-||GBX||Equity - Ethical||Buy|
|iShares Dow Jones Europe Sustainability Screened UCITS ETF GBP||10.33||27.54||21.80||73.95||GBP||Equity - Ethical||Buy|
|iShares Dow Jones Global Sustainability Screened UCITS ETF GBP||16.01||42.50||44.92||85.20||GBP||Equity - Ethical||Buy|
|iShares Global Clean Energy UCITS ETF GBP||1.84||20.43||9.25||29.74||GBP||Commodity & Energy||Buy|
|Name||1 Year (%)||3 Years (%)||5 Years (%)||NAV||Discount||NDY||Sector|
|Foresight Planned Exit VCT||-1.30||-25.05||-20.36||-||-||53.85||VCT Generalist||Buy|
|Foresight Solar & Infrastructure VCT PLC C ORD 1P||-2.26||-6.68||-||-||-||6.14||VCT Specialist Environmental||Buy|
|Foresight Solar & Infrastructure VCT PLC D||-||-||-||-||-||-||VCT Specialist Environmental Pre Qualify||Buy|
|Foresight Solar & Infrastructure VCT PLC Ord 1P||-2.89||1.92||28.28||-||-||6.42||VCT Specialist Environmental||Buy|
|Hazel Renewable Energy VCT1 PLC A Shs 0.1P||-||8,668.41||8,668.41||-||-||-||VCT Specialist Environmental||Buy|
|Hazel Renewable Energy VCT1 PLC Ord 0.1P||5.69||57.46||46.26||-||-||4.69||VCT Specialist Environmental||Buy|
|Hazel Renewable Energy VCT2 PLC A Shs 0.1P||-||8,668.41||8,668.41||-||-||-||VCT Specialist Environmental||Buy|
|Hazel Renewable Energy VCT2 PLC Ord 0.1P||5.69||58.26||46.99||-||-||4.69||VCT Specialist Environmental||Buy|
|Octopus VCT 3 PLC ORD 1P||-2.45||-10.60||-||-||-||6.71||VCT Specialist Environmental||Buy|
|Octopus VCT 4 PLC ORD 1P||-2.45||-10.60||-||-||-||6.71||VCT Specialist Environmental||Buy|
|TP Income VCT plc||-||46.19||41.28||-||-||-||VCT Generalist||Buy|
|Ventus 2 VCT PLC D SHS 25P||5.35||-||-||-||-||3.33||VCT Specialist Environmental Pre Qualify||Buy|
|Ventus VCT||20.85||46.37||112.96||-||-||15.31||VCT Specialist Environmental||Buy|
|Ventus VCT 2||4.35||39.69||147.75||-||-||7.66||VCT Specialist Environmental||Buy|
|Ventus VCT 2 C||23.41||46.51||49.07||-||-||7.14||VCT Specialist Environmental||Buy|
|Ventus VCT C||23.97||47.26||58.05||-||-||7.11||VCT Specialist Environmental||Buy|
|Ventus VCT PLC D SHS 25P||5.35||-||-||-||-||3.33||VCT Specialist Environmental Pre Qualify||Buy|
Open an account
Opening an account is easy and you will need:
- Your address details for the last three years
- Your debit card details including bank account number and sort code
- Your National Insurance (NI) number
Please be aware of the risks involved. The value of investments, and any income from them, can fall as well as rise so you could get back less than you invest. Past performance is no guarantee of future performance. Tax treatment depends on your individual circumstances and may be subject to change. If in any doubt, please seek advice.
Our trading service offers you:
- UK call centre open 7.45am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday
- Active discussion boards giving you support from like-minded investors
- Award-winning financial news and editorial from our team of journalists
- Educational guides and video tutorials
Call our UK team on: 0345 200 3637
Calls to this number cost no more than
calls to 01 and 02 numbers.